I was privileged to judge the Fine Arts at the Washington County Fair this week. When I was a teenager, I won many blue ribbons on my art, sewing, and canning at the Rogers Country fair, so this experience was really meaningful to me.
I have never judged an art show before, so I was afraid I would
ruin someone’s life by not judging well, and I did my homework. I even found instructions for judging at a
country fair.
Actually, it was easier than I anticipated because the art
was divided into so many categories. All
but one had five or fewer entries, some only one, and oil painting, none! The other volunteers made it easy for me. They sorted them and laid out each category. The volunteers were a mother/daughter team.
The most important part of judging the young kids (as young as three!) is to encourage them to continue with their art, so I wrote a little note on the tags of those.
Most were fairly easy to judge, but when I got to tough
ones, I looked at presentation, shading, depth of field, technical expertise,
color use, and originality. I know some
people will be thrilled and some will be disappointed. I didn’t see the names
of each work, but I hope the ribbons were given to a wide variety of artists.


No comments:
Post a Comment